Manage episode 292764456 series 2483891
Rich and Linda make stunning, digitally printed swimwear under the label Usual Objections. They manufacture all of their products from a micro-factory in their family home in Hackney, which they also share with 2 children and a blind pug!
In this episode, they tell me about what made them decide to manufacture everything themselves, having tried doing so with several UK manufacturers first, and what lessons they’ve learnt along the way. It’s great advice for anyone who's thinking of launching a brand or setting up their own micro-manufacturing unit.
- Linda and Richard's backgrounds and how they ended up starting a swimwear brand 03:03
- How they spent £1,000s on sampling products that weren't right 06:55
- How they bought their first machine and it all grew from there 07:54
- How long it took them to launch the business 09:53
- How they sourced their fabric 10:43
- How they've funded the business 14:32
- The balance of their time that they spend designing and manufacturing, versus selling and marketing, and why they may have got it wrong 20:56
More Make it British
Join Make it British - become a member of our community
Work with me - find out how we can work together to build your British-made brand
Make it British Brands Directory - search for brands and manufacturers that make in the UK
Manufacturers Directory - search for manufacturers that are verified members of Make it British