Manage episode 338091375 series 2135834
New leaks reveal how hollow Apple's claims of fighting for user privacy are. We discuss their scheme to monetize the downturn.
Plus, why we've never seen an App blow it as severely as Telegram is right now, and Electron's Flash moment.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Tailscale: Tailscale is the easiest way to create a peer-to-peer network with the power of Wireguard.
- CoderRadioMascot on Twitter — I want to remind you that we have strict labor laws in Europe. I don't think denying a mascot it's vacation is legal. I consider founding the first podcast mascot union to make sure podcast mascot's rights are respected and not eradicated.
- Workplace Productivity: Are You Being Tracked? - The New York Times — Across industries and incomes, more employees are being tracked, recorded and ranked. What is gained, companies say, is efficiency and accountability. What is lost?
- Archive.org: The Rise of the Worker Productivity Score — Now digital productivity monitoring is also spreading among white-collar jobs and roles that require graduate degrees. Many employees, whether working remotely or in person, are subject to trackers, scores, “idle” buttons, or just quiet, constantly accumulating records. Pauses can lead to penalties, from lost pay to lost jobs.
- Stof's thoughts on tabs or Spaces — Essentially, tabs are idealistic and would win any argument not based on real world 'not caring' of humans, so in reality spaces win, but how many spaces is a better question! I wonder what the audience would say about 2 spaces?
- West Coast Crew Chat — Join our west coast locals chan room.
- Want to join us at JPL? — Put your name in the hat, just be sure you can be there Sept 29th!
- Researchers Find Vulnerabilities in Software Underlying Discord, Microsoft Teams, and Other Apps — Aaditya Purani, one of the researchers who found these vulnerabilities, said that “regular users should know that the Electron apps are not the same as their day-to-day browsers,” meaning they are potentially more vulnerable.
- RCE Vulnerability found in Electron — This occurs because of the way ElectronJS is designed and is a fundamental design issue within the framework. (ElectronJs = JS + Chromium so this intersection is where the flaw occurs as it’s not same as your normal chrome browser).
- Telegram update brings new animated emoji — The latest update to Telegram’s app for iOS comes with multiple new features, especially for Premium subscribers.
- Telegram CEO complains about App Store 'obscure review process' — For example, our upcoming update – which is about to revolutionize how people express themselves in messaging – has been stuck in Apple’s ‘review’ for two weeks, without explanation or any feedback provided by Apple.
- Apple asked for a cut of Facebook’s ad sales years before it stifled Facebook’s ad sales — Apple reportedly argued that it deserved a cut of certain portions of Facebook’s ad revenue.
- Apple Set to Expand Advertising, Bringing Ads to Maps, TV and Books Apps — Apple is set to expand ads to new areas of your iPhone and iPad in search of its next big revenue driver. Also: The company slows its pace of acquiring startups, and Peloton embarks on a major overhaul.
- Apple and Facebook’s Pre-ATT Negotiations, Timing and Documentation — The Wall Street Journal fills in important details about the run-up to ATT, including negotiations between Apple and Facebook. Then, ATT denials don't hold water. – Stratechery by Ben Thompson
- Mark Gurman on Twitter — Power On: Apple is set to expand ads to more parts of your iPhone, beyond News, Stocks and the App Store. Up next? Probably in Maps, Books, Podcasts and one day TV+.
- Patrick Moorhead #SixFiveSummit on Twitter — What an Apple power move: Hobble the advertising efforts of your ecosystem and then start monetizing the real estate yourself. Redefines vertical integration. Truly brilliant.
- Send a Boost with a New Podcast App — Boosts, chapters, transcripts, and more. Get a Podcasting 2.0 compatible app.