Manage episode 285021840 series 2135834
Microsoft and Ubuntu's relationship is under a new spotlight this week.
Plus our rundown of the feature-packed 5.11 release, a Fuchsia surprise, exciting hardware news, and more.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Dev creeped out after he fired up Ubuntu VM on Azure, was immediately approached by Canonical sales rep — "The creepiest thing," he said, "[was] the direct contact on my private LinkedIn account" – which he noted did not share "the same corporate email.
- ＣｙｂｅｒＡｎｔａｎｉ on Twitter
- KDE Plasma 5.21 is Packed with New Features — KDE Plasma 5.21 is going to be released on February 16 and when it arrives it’ll bring a barrel load of changes and enhancements with it.
- This week in KDE — Plasma 5.21 approaches!
- Linux 5.11 Is Heavy On New Features, Improvements For 2021 — There are a ton of Intel and AMD changes, Syscall User Dispatch for helping some newer Windows games run under Wine, continued IO_uring advancements, many Btrfs file-system improvements, Lenovo contributed ThinkPad palm sensor detection support, and much more.
- Linux 5.11 - Linux Kernel Newbies
- Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux
- AMD Ryzen, EPYC 5~6% Faster Out-Of-The-Box With Linux 5.11
- Intel Xe Graphics Are Looking Great On Linux 5.11 With Nice Performance Uplift
- OpenLiteSpeed WordPress Server | Linode Marketplace
- System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source “Launch Configurable Keyboard” — Like the Thelio computers, System76 is going to be manufacturing their own keyboards at their facility in Denver, Colorado.
- Keyboards Go Open Source With System76’s ‘Launch Configurable Keyboard’
- system76/launch on GitHub — System76 Launch Configurable Keyboard
- System76 on Twitter — “The Launch keyboard PCB! #system76 #launch #keyboard #linux #comingsoon #sneakpeek"
- AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers — Several of these new job descriptions do begin with, "step up into a new organization built to engage more strategically and deeply with the technical teams of our commercial customers."
- AMD “Green Sardine” Firmware Published For Linux Users
- Google Fuchsia OS could run Android & Linux apps ‘natively’ — This week, a proposal has been put forward for an alternative solution for Fuchsia to run programs meant for Linux and Android. Instead of running Linux itself, Fuchsia would gain a system called “Starnix,” which would act as a translator between instructions for the Linux kernel and instructions for Fuchsia’s Zircon kernel.
- [rfc] Running unmodified Linux programs on Fuchsia
- Fuchsia - Starnix Proposal
- Hacker News Comments — Running unmodified Linux programs on Fuchsia
- Homework: Uncovering a 24-year-old bug in the Linux Kernel
- Homework: Visual guide to SSH tunnels
- Homework: FOSDEM 2021 Videos