Manage episode 291752584 series 2922023
Join the discord! discord.gg/fTQexvQ
!! SPOILERS !!
[ cw: homelessness, poverty, violence against women, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, imperialism, drug abuse, child abuse ]
We "went" to the 2021 Seattle International Film Festival LIVE from the comfort of our own homes, using the latest in computer streaming technology to report on ELEVEN of the hottest most specifically interesting to us movies we could find... and so obviously there's a LOT to talk about. Strap in for an exhaustive episode, as we talk about the ins and mostly outs of:
- Video nasties meta-thrillers in Censor
- A mother struggling to find housing in Los Angeles in I'm Fine (Thanks for Asking)
- A mother struggling with omeless camp raids in New York in Topside
- Russian gay immigrant autofiction in Potato Dreams of America
- Taiwanese zombie action comedy in Get The Hell Out
- Drugs and spiraling rappers and holographic Tupacs in When I'm Done Dying
- The enduring trauma of survivors of Congo's Six Day War in Downstream to Kinshasa
- Suburban gossip and awful fathers in Bad Tales
- Hazy floating character pieces in The Dog Who Wouldn't Be Quiet
- Dan Deacon soundtracked dreamscapes in Strawberry Mansion
- And, lastly, the life of a retired Yakuza in Under the Open Sky
Like we said, an exhaustive episode.
Barroo can be found at www.twitter.com/averycutedog
Jae Bearhat can be found at www.twitter.com/fussybabybitch
BARROO'S TWITCH: www.twitch.tv/barroooooo
JAE'S TWITCH: www.twitch.tv/jaebearhat
Support Film Critters on Patreon and get bonus content plus access to exclusive Discord channels!