Manage episode 311601250 series 3151517
Lara Kelly on Sharing Her Experience Working in a Man’s World on Social Media
In this episode of She Who Dares Wins podcast, I speak with Lara Kelly, an apprentice electrician in industrial and coal mining from Australia. She has been in the industry in a while after getting inspired by her brother who also does trade jobs.
Lara shares why she is so passionate about her job and wants to share her story and inspire other women not to be ashamed to work in a man’s world. Listen in to learn the impacts of social media especially on women who choose to share what is unconventional.
- The benefits of unpaid work to gain the necessary experience for the job market.
- How to get out of your comfort and experience life of opportunities.
- The positive and negative impacts of social media on women sharing their stories.
- How to work with companies that represent your brand on social media and learning to say no to those that don’t align with it.
- [1:09] She shares her story from dropping out of University to an apprentice electrician which took 3 years of rejection to land a job.
- [3:41] How a lack of proper training and job experience led to her rejection in the job market.
- [6:14] Why moving to a different state stretched her comfort zone and gave her job satisfaction.
- [9:47] She describes why she joined Instagram to share her story of working in a man’s world and the negative side of it.
- [17:50] She explains why she works with companies whose values align with hers on social media.
- [24:04] How she reacts to negative opinions and comments on social media.
- [31:21] She explains why she disassociated herself with women who pretended to support but were tearing others down.
- [34:30] Why you should do something that you love and are passionate about.
- [36:27] Why women should consider trade jobs as lucrative career paths even with their university education.
- “Putting myself out of my comfort zone has made me go out and try to get more opportunities for myself.” – Lara [6:41]
- “There are still, unfortunately, people out there who really don’t like having women in this man’s world.”- Lara [12:47]
- “We’re such a small representation in the industry already and realistically we should be bringing each other up as opposed to tearing each other down.”- Lara [32:40]
Check us out on Instagram @shewhodareswins_
https://www.shewhodareswins.com/ For more great stories and Merch!
Find Lara on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/larzythesparky/--- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/shewhodareswins/message