Manage episode 299311727 series 2859860
CSP 17-Episode on Challenging the Norm to Effectively Tackle Anti-Social Behaviour
The predicament of anti-social behaviours is not something you turn your back on. Anti-social behaviours have a huge impact not just on individuals, but also in the families and the communities.
Today’s episode explores the deep-rooted causes of anti-social behaviour and how Nick Buckley MBE, through the Mancunian Way, established a way to alleviate it.
About Nick Buckley
Nick Buckley MBE worked as youth intervention officer and as a Community Safety Coordinator with the Manchester City Council. In 2011, Nick’s role was terminated due to budget cuts.
He decided to take his severance pay and established a charity called the Mancunian Way which works to reduce anti-social behaviour by prevention and intervention.
The charity was recognized as the Community Project of the Year last 2015.
- When you accept your flaws, you’re no longer susceptible to people’s judgments or opinions of you.
- Every action has a corresponding consequence.
- Children will want to please adults in terms of their behaviours and it’s important to tap into that.
- Children need advice, guidance, and boundaries.
- Addressing the issue of anti-social behaviour has to be about changing behaviours and perceptions of the young people instead of just relying on entertainment.
- Improving the community will improve lives holistically.
- There’s no such thing as one size fits all—every child should be given a choice especially in their education.
- Personal responsibility is a must.
- Having a good partnership is beneficial for improving lives.
Time-Stamped Show Highlights
- [00:00:35] Getting to know our astounding guest
- [00:02:11] Who is Nick and what makes him commendable
- [00:06:32] How Nick overcame his stutter and flaws
“I was always the first person to take the mickey out of me. The second you do that, you take the power away from everybody else.”
- [00:07:55] Nick’s upbringing that left a huge impact to who he is right now
- [00:08:21] The Genesis of Nick’s anti-social behaviour alleviation
- [00:09:47] Nick’s take on taking responsibilities for your life
- [00:13:03] Nick explains how important it is to tap into parents’ natural instincts
- [00:15:52] An important talk about how giving choices to children can change the course of their lives
- [00:17:55] How Mancunian Way got established
- [00:26:00] Nick shares an anecdote with the young girl they’ve worked with and what kept them going with their advocacy
- [00:28:38] What makes Nick unique
“Unless your overarching plan stops a conveyor belt of young people making the choices, then we will have these issues forever.”
- [00:30:39] Nick on changing lives
“We need to stop doing this to people and we need to empower communities so they can improve the lives of their own young people and place them in communities.”
- [00:34:04] On schools and their systems
- [00:41:37] Anecdote of the girl in the youth club
- [00:46:05] What the government needs to do to contribute to society
- [00:48:21] Nick talks about a setback
- [00:49:00] On how to empower communities in the society
- [00:54:52] Our life and destiny
- [00:58:22] Nick on concentrating with primary schools
- [01:00:43] Average anti-social behaviour family
- [01:02:00] Nick in negotiation for partnership work
- [01:08:00] Nick’s upcoming book on November
Selected Links for This Episode
Community Safety Podcast Resources
Love what you’ve heard?