Manage episode 283945061 series 2135834
We try out GNOME 40 and its new workspace layout. Who we think this works well for, and who might want to avoid it.
Plus Wimpy, Ubuntu's Desktop lead, chats with us about his future after Canonical.
Special Guests: Carl George and Martin Wimpress.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Oh Dear: Oh Dear monitors uptime, SSL certificates, broken links, scheduled tasks, and more. We send out notifications when something's wrong. All that paired with a developer-friendly API and kick-ass documentation. Promo Code: LINUX
- A Cloud Guru: Hundreds of courses, thousands of hands-on labs.
- VideoLAN is 20 years old!
- Refreshing the Ubuntu Desktop Installer — We have started working on the new desktop installer, and plan to have a preliminary version ready for testing in the 21.10 release; due in October 2021. This paves the way to transitioning to the new installer for the next LTS release, which will be 22.04, due for release in April 2022.
- Martin 🙂 Wimpress on Twitter — I’ll soon⏳be leaving Canonical. I’m very excited to be joining the fine people @SlimDevOps😃Despite the change, I’ll continue to lead @ubuntu_mate; it’s my passion💖project. Naturally, I’ll remain an enthusiastic #Ubuntu & Snapcraft community contributor💪
- OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T seeing work for mainline Linux kernel support — Thanks to the existing minimal mainline support for the platform, features like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and 3D Acceleration are already working at the current stage of development.
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- Unplugged Hangout Stream Live 1-26-2021 - JupiterTube
- GNOME 40 Approaches Its UI Freeze, Easy Means To Start Testing It — GNOME Shell recently merged its new horizontal workspaces, among other changes. The official GNOME Shell & Mutter development blog put out a new post on Monday highlighting their latest efforts. They are working to get the remaining big items in place over the next two weeks before the freeze and then an “intense period of polishing and bug fixing.”
- Another Shell UX Update – GNOME Shell & Mutter
- Welp, Ubuntu 21.04 Won’t Ship with GNOME 40 or GTK4 — Ubuntu devs cite the redesign of GNOME Shell in GNOME 40 and its potential impact on GNOME extensions (of which Ubuntu ships a few by default) and the Yaru GTK theme as reason to “stick” to GNOME 3.38 this cycle.
- Triple Buffering Likely Not Landing Until GNOME 42
- Ubuntu 21.04 Will Use Wayland By Default
- Quick Demo: Gnome 40 Multi-monitor Demo - JupiterTube
- Carl George on Twitter — I’ve been a @gnome fan/apologist for a long time. Dynamic virtual workspaces spanned across multiple horizontally arranged monitors are so damn wonderful to use. Productive. Efficient. Spatial.
- Carl's Workspace Layout Drawing
- Feedback: Chromium Woes
- Feedback: Ventoy
- UGREEN M.2 Enclosure for SATA NGFF SSD
- Silicon Power 256GB A55 M.2 SSD
- Pick: Ticker — Terminal stock ticker with live updates and position tracking