Manage episode 288961037 series 2695480
In this episode, Brian and Stephen offer a high-level overview of what faith and belief are, through the lens of Josef Pieper's Faith, Hope, Love.
- Overall misconceptions of faith.
- The tie-in between faith and conviction.
- The difference and relationship between believing and knowing.
- The transition of belief from the "supernatural" to the "material" world in the 19th century.
- Why belief can't be half-hearted.
- What is "mental unrest" that Pieper notes comes with faith?
- Why can't you rationalize your way to true faith?
- How faith ties in to reality and why you cannot divorce the two of them.
- Why you can still know things.
- What is belief/faith?
- Four prerequisites of faith.
- Why we need freedom to rightly believe.